Saturday, February 12, 2011

No Ordinary Family S1 Ep14 "No Ordinary Double Standard"

Greetings-

Yep, another show that I'm still enjoying despite its lackluster ratings.

Like the rest of my television columns this week, I'm going to refrain from writing a play by play recap of the episode and instead give you my thoughts after watching.

Here's what TVGuide has to say about "No Ordinary Double Standard":
Jim and Stephanie have a contest to test their crime-fighting skills after a friend of hers is attacked; Daphne is upset by her father's double standard on a dating issue; Katie makes a shocking discovery about Joshua.
 Guest starring is Ethan Suplee (My Name is Earl) as Tom Seeley.

The villain in this episode has a pretty cool power. He turns into smoke/mist/fog in order to enter into the homes of his victims. The smoke effect was pretty well done for television special effects.

The double standard of being a parent with both a boy and a girl when it comes to dating seems to be pretty spot on in tonight's episode. I can only hope that when my kids are old enough to be dating that I won't apply a double standard, but the fact of the matter is that I probably will. I think it's written into the DNA code of parents.

Still loving the adorable geekiness of Katie. I like the fact that they didn't go with the typical comic book geek for this show. They could have gone with a pimply kid with hardly any friends, but instead they went with a woman. Very nice to see ABC stepping away from the stereotype.

I usually like when the Powell's work together (like in the episode "No Ordinary Anniversary"), but the little contest to see who could solve the crime first between Stephanie and Jim seems a little bit "meh".  Jim is a little bit too arrogant about his abilities in this episode and it puts a little damper on his likability as a character. However, once the Powell's and their respective sidekicks decide that it would be best for them to work together, things get better.

Another problem I had with the episode, and previous episodes, is that the kids seem to exist within the show as a plot device instead of fully fleshed out characters.

The appearance of the menacing Dr. King (Stephen Collins) is always a plus. I don't get tired of seeing him as a villain.  When he spills the beans about how dangerous Joshua is to Katie, I just wanted to punch him in the guts. Good reaction to have towards a true villain. When Tom tells Steph and Jim that Dr. King is behind the experiments that made him into a smoke monster, I about cheered.

Daphne learns a new way to use her powers tonight as well. It turns out that not only can she hear people's thoughts and see people's thoughts when she touches them, she can also push thoughts.  Daphne has now learned that she can use the Jedi Mind Trick.

The confrontation between Tom and Dr. King was decent, but we don't know if Dr. King was telling the truth about Tom being healed by the injections.

Joshua is really creepy.  I was hoping that his true nature (that of a killer) would stay buried, but when he used his powers to cover up his past to Katie, I just wanted to kick him in the teeth.  He's getting a little obsessed, and it's sufficient to say that I don't think it will be much longer before he's working for Dr. King again.

The tension builds.  Next week we see the return of the shape shifter, Victoria as she tries to destroy the Powell family.  I'm looking forward to an "Incredibles" style family team up to put the smack down on Dr. King and his team of super-villains.

Favorite Quote:

George: She lied to me and she violated the sanctity of the lair.
Katie: Lairs don't have sanctity.
George: Well, then you violated the sanctity of the smoothie, which is even...
Jim: Kids, if you don't behave, I'm going to turn this lair right around.

Until next time,
-Bill-

No comments: