Friday, February 11, 2011

The Cape: S1 Ep5 "Goggles and Hicks"

Greetings-

Yes, I know that I'm really far behind.  The kids have had way too many snow days off from school, so I haven't had much time to get caught up with my shows.

I won't be doing a full episode recap tonight, but I'll give my reactions to this episode of "The Cape".

First, as always, here's what TV Guide has to say about this episode:
Fleming hires a team of technical whizzes to uncover the Cape's true identity. Meanwhile, Dana digs further into her husband's case.
Guest Starring are Pruitt Taylor Vince (Deadwood) as Goggles and Chad Lindberg (Supernatural) as Hicks.


The two bad guys in this episode (Goggles and Hicks) are members of the assassin's order Tarot.  They are represented by The Chariot card.  The Chariot is the 7th trump card in traditional Tarot decks.  The Chariot is said to represent war and eventual victory.  


Fleming hires the two man team to kill The Cape.


We get more of what we've come to expect from an episode of The Cape.  We get our weekly flashback early on in the episode.  We get our weekly consult with Yoda Max. We get an annoyed Scales.  By the way, does Scales ever have a good day?  We had a hint last week that he really enjoys lasagna, so perhaps he has missed lasagna night again. We also get our weekly dose of Orwell being all Orwellian.


One of the things that I don't get about this show is that for a guy that's supposed to be dead, Vince sure likes being in public places.  He also likes to discuss things about his previous life in public as well.  Sure he's just talking to Orwell, but doesn't he ever think that maybe someone is listening in?  Perhaps after tonight, he won't go out in public without being The Cape as often has he's been doing in the past episodes.

Okay, now on to what I thought was good about the episode.  Dana finally beginning to put the pieces together that Marty knows something about what happened to Vince.  The confrontation in Marty's hallway was pretty good.  Trip's new annoying friend from the apartment from downstairs.  The kid is annoying, but it's nice to see that Trip has someone that believes him about The Cape.  Call me sappy if you will, but I liked the exchange between Orwell and Vince before she finds the tracker on him.  I also liked the creepiness of Goggles and Hicks.  They were much more entertaining and fleshed out than the other member of the Tarot order, Cain.

Best line of the episode:  "If I see you in my town again;  If I even hear that you're looking in this direction, I'm gonna tear your eyes out and pour my coffee in your skull"

We recently learned that NBC has cut the the episode order for The Cape from 13 to 10. That's not a good sign.  Also, the show is shedding viewers every week.  This could be yet another show I like that won't get another season.

To me, The Cape brings me back to a time when superheroes were allowed to be more like their comic book counterparts.  Bigger than life, clichéd and cheesy.  I miss that sometimes.

What do you think about The Cape?  Will we get a second season on television?  Do you think we might see a comic book spin-off of the show?  Love it or hate it, be sure to let me know down in the comments.

Until next time,
-Bill-

No comments: